Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Few Random Pictures

I love finding bizarre shaped veggies in the garden.
Most of you reading know by now that I actually like learning about the critters in the garden, especially if they aren't eating anything I'm hoping to eat later. Click on the picture to see the bright yellow spider above.
I got this pitcher plant at the downtown market in Roanoke at the beginning of last summer. It started out with beautiful pitchers that were actively catching insects. Then one by one the pitchers seemed to dry up and some of the leaves were looking a little cooked also. I brought the plant inside over the winter and continued to water it, but was not expecting much since it is a tropical plant and the weather in McCoy is not exactly tropical. But as you can see after putting it back outside this summer and giving it plenty of water and misting it is happily growing more pitchers. I was pretty pleased with my success and hope to take it into my classroom. I think the kids will love it.
The peppers below were sliced and put into our dehydrator, except for the serrano, which were put in whole. They turned out pretty good although it took about three days for them all to finish. I sliced the jalapeno peppers too small and several fell through the trays of the dehydrator, so I may just try cutting them in half next time.
Below is a lovely picture of some of the tomatoes that my mother in-law canned for me.
I have only cooked with butternut squash once before, so it looks like I need to be on the search for some new recipes to use!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Good going on that pitcher plant. And I'm glad your mother in law handled the tomato canning - I can envision a huge mess if something were to go awry during the canning process.

I thought my beans weren't going to do anything but the vines rebounded and the beans are coming in like crazy.

As for bugs, I found two crickets mating on the bean vines today (at least I think that is what they were doing, I have no idea why else they would be one on top of the other!) so there is my bug find for the day.