Saturday, January 17, 2009

Crafty Crochet


This has nothing to do with outdoor adventures or gardening, but who wants to go outside when it feel like 0 degrees outside. Plus since I've had a couple of snow days I've had time to venture upstairs and dig through my yarn baskets. I'm not sure who is suppose to have the time to crochet little mini stuffed animals, but for some reason I've been a little hooked on them, simply because they're so darn cute. When I visited my cousin Jessica last summer in Kansas I bought a book called "Amigurumi World." I'm not even sure how to pronounce the Japanese word, but it translates to "knitted stuffed toy," but the instructions are for crocheting. They are a great way to use up scrap yarn, but more time consuming than I expected because of sewing the pieces together, which I'm really not so good at. Below are my first two attempts. I will have to do something to make the bear's eyes stand out more. In the background are a few easy coasters that I made.
The following two pictures are afghans that I had previously made. These patterns were also chosen to use up scrap yarn. My mother-in-law is always giving my bags of yarn, which is fun because I never know what I'm going to get. The granny squares were really fun to make, but a pain to sew together. I've seen blankets since then that have a border between the squares and I think that looks a lot better.
More coasters.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Have you joined www.ravelry.com yet? It is a public community for the yarn obsessed, free patterns galore. Very useful, very addicting. ;-)

Rach said...

Oh, Liz, they're all wonderful! :o)

Karey said...

Love them!! I love the stuffed animals!