Monday, August 23, 2010

Price's Fork Fair 2010


I found just enough living edibles from the garden this past Friday, the 20th, to make a "garden collection" for the fair. I added a few more marigolds to the front of the basket after I snapped this picture, and it ended up with a red ribbon. At this point in the year I'm so ready for the garden to be done, I love the fresh produce, but keeping up with picking tomatoes before they rot on the vines becomes a lot to handle, especially with school starting. The fair is one last push for me to make something beautiful from all the hard work Clay and I put into the garden each year. The fair was a little bit later this year and just two days later I'm cherishing the cool evenings and even enjoying the soft beauty of the early dusk. Having time to socialize with community friends and admire everyone's craftiness is a nice way to end the summer and transition into school mode. The blackberry jam I made with grandma and the yellow tomatoes each got a blue ribbon and the sunflower, marigold, and zinnia each got a red.
The salad picture above has been my summer favorite. I've had trouble finding the right foods to fit my pregnancy cravings and this one does the trick. Fresh tomatoes, avocado, and mozzarella cheese on a bed of baby greens with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and pepper.

2 comments:

Rach said...

First of all, that salad has me drooling. Lordy that looks delicious!

Second, great job at the fair! :o) That basket is beautiful.

I SO miss the fair. I used to think the summers dragged and then we would get to August and it was fair time and then it was school.

Enjoy those cool evenings for me. We won't be having those for another few weeks. :oS

Jess said...

I want a Fair hot dog and lemonade from the church booth!