Monday, July 7, 2008

Experiments, Deer Damage, and Funky Fungi

Align CenterClay read that you can pot large tomato suckers and once new growth starts they can be planted in the garden for a late season crop.
Heirloom Tomato Seedlings, Brandywine Pink and Marglobe.
The deer's favorite munchie, sunflowers. I've noticed that once the top is eaten that it will start two sets of new leaves. I'm sure it is not easy to recover from having your head chopped off, even if you are a plant.
I just purchased some brussel sprouts from Crows Nest, hoping I can harvest them in the fall after the first frost. The deer stepped right on one, but since the soil was so moist it just sunk in instead of breaking off.
The biggest damage was on the beans. I'm wandering since the blooms were not eaten off if we will still get beans from the plants that were damaged?
Here is the mysterious fungi. I would like to find out if I need to worry about this stuff.
Close up of fungi.

Today's Harvest - nine cucumbers.

7 comments:

Knitters Notebook said...

Hello! I found your blog at Rhonda's and I thought I would stop by for a peek at your garden. Wow you have alot of things going on in your garden:) I am not sure about planting tomato suckers I have never heard of this before? We have many sunflowers and hopefully they will not be eaten by the deer:)I have a blog at homesteadblogger I would love for you to stop by there is a picture of our garden beds.
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/LittleHouseBigGarden/

Blessings, Renee (aka Ma)

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog from Rhona Jean's comments and wanted to compliment you on such a great garden.

Karey said...

Ugh - Deer and sunflowers. We have tried planting many sunflowers at the house - but alas they never get anywhere because the deer eat them... and we live in the city... imagine... but they come out in the backyard early in the morning and in the evening. It's kind of nice to see them because it reminds me I don't really live in a "city"... but it would be nice to get a sunflower to grow every once in a while :) LOL!

Barnetts said...

Hi Liz! (It's Jennifer Barnett) I found your blog on Jessica & Rachel's blog. Looks like you have a lot of plants I am sorry the deer are getting some of them.

Rach said...

What are ya'll going to do about the deer?

Good luck!

Michele said...

Hello! I followed Rachael's link to your new blog. What a big, beautiful garden you have! And you're so lucky to be in a warmer zone than I, harvesting already! I've been blogging about our first garden at www.motherofpearls.net. I'm sure I could learn quite a bit from yours! Regards, Michele

Larry said...

Nice blog! I look forward to coming back to see your garden. Sorry, I can't help with your fungus.
Larry