Sunday, July 6, 2008

Today is a Sunday. Sometimes I like to try to get some work done before church but I only managed to cook myself some oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries on top. When I finished I crawled back into bed to read. After church I did start working. I weeded the beans and cucumbers. These are two areas of our garden that we don't have weed paper down. It is easy to think my bean bushes are really think, but in a lot of cases there are just big weeds mixed in. I also discovered quite a bit of deer damage on the beans. I sprayed them with a really stinky (natural ingredients) deer repellent, but of course it is now pouring rain and the deer will probably feast again tonight. I also noticed a lot of fungi growing in the soil around the beans. We've seen this before, usually in areas that received a little more horse manure. I would think the fungi are just going about their business breaking down the soil and making it more nutrient rich, but I'm also nervous that they shouldn't be there. When Clay gets back with the camera I will take a picture and see if anyone has any advice. I also hilled up the second batch of corn that we put in.

I had big plans to do dinner with my folks here at the house. Mom ended up needing to take Papaw to the funeral home and with the down pour my parents are about 30-40 min. late. If they were on time I would have actually had everything done and ready to come off or out of the oven on time and still warm. So I'm a little disappointed but here is what I prepared. Yesterday I did a casserole for my friend Crystal's goat roast. I had enough stuff to make two so that was the main dish for tonight. The casserole was mild and hot sausage, zucchini, squash, green peppers (frozen from last years garden), onion, elbow noddles, garlic, oregano, basil, and some cheese sprinkled on top. Then I made batter fried yellow squash and fried a little kale and chard with some garlic. I had fresh cucumber slices for a side dish and a raspberry/blueberry cobbler for dessert. Now I'm just trying to keep myself busy so I don't worry over the food until my folks get here!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Wish I were there to help eat all that yummy food!