Tuesday, July 15, 2008

School Garden and Mountain Lake Hiking

I decided to post a few pictures of the garden beds I'm helping out with at CES. I'm embarrassed by all the weeds, but maybe I can get a few people to help me clean things up better before the students come back. There are nine fenced in beds. I'm only using five of them now so I will have four to play with when school is back in session.

Here is the squash, zucchini, and basil bed. The sunflowers popped up from last years seeds.
I have not seen any of these insects on my plants at home but there were lots of them on the squash plant at school. I need to research this one. Click on the picture to see him up close. (I saw an article in a gardening magazine today that suggested keeping a list of insects found in your garden and to identify them by preserving one in a little medicine container that you freeze overnight to use as a specimen. Clay will love having insects in our freezer!!)
This picture is out of order, we don't have a fern bed with a beautiful forest behind it at school. This is up at Mountain Lake, War Spur Trail.
This is the flower bed the kids helped me plant. It is packed with sunflowers and cosmos (I think!) It probably needs to be thinned a lot. The big barrel in the back is a compost turner that was donated to us from the librarian. I'm not having much luck with it, but I'm not there to turn it often during the summer.
Another picture of the squash bed with a view of the purple basil and lots of weeds. We put the black weed paper down between the beds at the end of school. It is puffing up as a lot of grass continues to grow underneath.
This is one of the tomato beds. We just planted cherry and Roma, so there would be more for the kids to pick if they are still producing then. We have another tomato bed with some peppers, but they are not doing as well.
This is the herb bed. It has dill, Thai basil, mint, chives, and rosemary. Plus we through in a rhubarb plant.
From mountain lake we saw a lot of rhododendron.
A view of the hotel from the far side of the lake. Those that have been here before know that the level of the lake is shockingly low.
Colorful shelf fungi.
Another view of the now horseshoe shaped lake.
I liked this picture of the tree roots blending in with the rocks.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Liz, I just got to my sister's and got my computer back from having it repaired! I am learning a lot from your blog. I am jealous of your peppers, we have two plants and neither are producing the way yours are. Bob said our sunflowers grew about a foot last week, the beans are coming in and he thinks he will get to eat the first ripe tomato this weekend. I think the idea of keeping the bugs in your freezer is good but weird at the same time. :-)

Karey said...

Hmmm... for whatever reason I did today - it appears I can get onto your blogs and post a comment (hopefully).. I guess if you are reading this - then it worked. LOL!

You have such a green thumb...

And I was commenting yesterday on the church picnic... I wanted to make a comment about the kids - I have never seen so many kids soaking wet :) They were awesome - and certainly enjoying the rain much more than the adults :)

Rach said...

The gardens look fantastic!

As for Mountain Lake, it's just so sad. Every time I come home and we go hiking up that way I get all wistful about it.

Barnetts said...

Wow your garden seems to be growing great. I am jealous, we didn't plant one this year.