Saturday, November 29, 2008

Devil's Marble Yard


Clay and I took a Black Friday hike to the Devil's Marble Yard to work off a few Thanksgiving calories. You can see how the destination got it's name! We didn't spend too much time at the marble yard at first because we were concerned about not having time to complete the rest of the 11 mile hike before dark.


I really liked how something as simple as tree bark could make such a cool picture. Great texture and colors.


Late fall colors.




The two pictures above were taken after we left the Gunter Ridge Trail and met up with the Appalachian Trail. We then left the AT to an un-maintained Sulphur Spring Trail with an opening called the "Helicopter Pad." The deep blues and purples of the Blue Ridge Mountains were spectacular.


After the 3 mile detour on the AT we were suppose to do a loop back to the parking lot, but didn't want to get caught in the dark. So we headed back to the Marble Yard, cutting the hike short by about 2 miles, and spent some time exploring the boulders. This picture does a decent job of showing the magnitude of how big the boulders were. One of the dark patches on the right is me (click on the picture for a clearer view). I didn't realize how much my legs would hurt after hopping from rock to rock. My legs felt like jello and didn't want to function at all after we got back on the main trail.

Here are a few more pictures of the Devil's Marbles.


3 comments:

Rach said...

What a hike! I've never been to the Devil's Marble Yard. Where is it?

Jess said...

Wow, how many miles total? And where is it?

Liz Scott said...

The hike is on the same exit as Natural Bridge. I think it is exit 175 off of I81. I'm guessing we did between 8 and 9 miles since we didn't do the loop.
Liz